In 1801, Colonel Samuel Judy received a military grant for 100 acres (0.40 km2) of land near the base of the bluffs, just north of Judy Creek, and became one of the first permanent settlers of Madison County. The land was called Goshen Settlement, after the biblical land of Goshen. It was renamed Glen Carbon to reflect its coal mining heritage. Glen Carbon was incorporated as a village in 1892. It operated many coal mines until the last one shut down in 1934. Another industry was the St. Louis brick company, which burned down in the 1930s; then, right after being rebuilt, it burned down and was never rebuilt again.
Glen Carbon residents served during World War I. The city's Doughboy statue, honoring their service, has been selected as part of a national competition for restoration as part of the nation's World War I centennial activities.
Three railroads once served Glen Carbon. The Illinois Central Railroad, now the Ronald J. Foster Sr. Heritage Bike Trail, became one of the first rails to trails projects in the US, in 1992. The other two lines were the Norfolk Southern line and the Chicago and North Western line, which ran parallel with each other the entire way through Glen Carbon, and stopped operating in Glen Carbon in March 2000. The Nickel Plate Bike Trail follows both of those right-of-ways, switching back and forth between the NS and CNW lines the whole way through Glen Carbon.
Originally built in 1914, this building began as School Street in what is considered "Old Town" Glen Carbon. 
- Importance of the railroad and coal mines
- Military memorabilia from Glen Carbon’s fighting men and women
- Historical photographic collection
- Baseball memorabilia
- Doll collection
- Arrowhead collection
Yanda Log Cabin
The Yanda Log Cabin is a satellite addition to the Heritage museum. In February 2017, the Yanda Log Cabin received a historical recognition plaque from the National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century organization.
Glen Carbon is located at (38.759801, -89.969204).
According to the 2010 census, Glen Carbon has a total area of 10.188 square miles (26.39 km2), of which 10.04 square miles (26.00 km2) (or 98.55%) is land and 0.148 square miles (0.38 km2) (or 1.45%) is water.
Parks and recreation
The Village of Glen Carbon operates three parks and the Ronald J. Foster Sr. Heritage Trail, an 11-mile (18 km) trail dedicated to the former mayor in 1991. It follows the old Illinois Central Railroad right-of-way that once served Glen Carbon.
Miner Park is located in the Old Town section. The entrance to the park is located between the American Legion Post and the Glen Carbon Centennial Library. This is the main park in Glen Carbon, with direct access to the Nickel Plate Bike Trail, a 15-mile (24 km) trail that follows the old Chicago & North Western and Norfolk Southern rights-of-way. The CNW & NS Railroads served Glen Carbon until March 2000.
The facilities available are:
- Comfort stations
- Barbecue grills
- Passive areas to view wildlife
- Variety of playground equipment
- Sheltered pavilions
- Band stand for special events
- Lighted baseball fields
- Large parking lot
- Concession stand for baseball games
- Old caboose with signal by it
- Kiddie Play set
- Beautiful entrance with historic signs about Glen Carbon and colorful flowers
- Tennis courts
- A tetherball
Schon Park is the newest park in Glen Carbon, Illinois. Originally open in 2013, with pavilions, benches, a walking trail and pond within its limits. The park sits on 36-acres of land, across from St. Cecelia Church and Village Hall on Glen Carbon Road. The ground breaking for the second phase of the park was on May 25th, 2018. The second phase construction will include the building of concrete paths, parking lot, underground utilities, a restroom facility and playground. The final plan for the park includes bicycle and walking trails, a baseball diamond, batting cages, basketball and tennis courts, splash pad, toddler playground and a concession stand. Donations for the park and more information is provided on their website www.makeschonparkshine.com.
- Restroom Facility
- Bicycle and walking trails
- Parking Area
- Access to Ronald J. Foster Sr. Heritage Trail
Village Hall Park
Village Hall Park is a 3-acre (12,000 m2) facility located directly behind the Village Hall at 151 North Main Street. This park is the main sporting and recreational complex in Glen Carbon.
- Tennis courts
- Lighted baseball field
- Concession stand
- Comfort stations
- Little folks playground
- Sheltered pavilions
Citizen Park was formally located behind Fire Station #1 and off Main Street in Old Town. It serves as the construction site to the new Fire Station #1. Groundbreaking ceremony took place on September 18th, 2018.  Entrance to the Ronald J. Foster Sr. Heritage Trail remains open and available.
Glen Carbon Centennial Library
In 2002 village residents passed a 2.6 million dollar bond issue to build a new library. After nearly two years of construction, the library opened its 14,000 square foot facility on October 4, 2004, located on Main Street adjacent to the town’s historic covered bridge. The library was featured in the Spring 2006 ILA Reporter article highlighting innovative library buildings and was awarded the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and Library Journal’s Best Small Library in America 2010.
Glen Carbon, Illinois in May 2017
Location of Glen Carbon in Madison County, Illinois.
Location of Illinois in the United States
|• Mayor||Robert Jackstadt|
|• Total||10.23 sq mi (26.49 km2)|
|• Land||10.08 sq mi (26.10 km2)|
|• Water||0.15 sq mi (0.38 km2)|
| • Estimate
|• Density||1,287.63/sq mi (497.17/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Wikimedia Commons||Glen Carbon, Illinois|