Olivette was settled in the mid-19th century as a small farming community along an old Indian trail originally called the Bonhomme Road (now known as Old Bonhomme, which meets and essentially turns into Olive Boulevard). Olive Road is a ridge road and at one time served as a de facto boundary for housing segregation in outer St. Louis.
Olivette was incorporated in 1930 by combining the communities of Central, Tower Hill, Olive, and Stratmann. It was once called Central due to its centralized location along the Central Plank Road (again, now called Olive Boulevard). In fact, Price Road and Olive Boulevard intersect at the exact midpoint between the Port of St. Louis on the Mississippi River and Howell’s Landing on the Missouri River. Central became the best stop for wagons to restock on their journey between the two stops. Olivette is home to the first brick schoolhouse in St. Louis County at the corner of Price and Old Bonhomme. For the past 150 years, a schoolhouse has occupied this corner. Logos High School sits here now. Olivette is one of the communities in the county that still maintains its own municipal fire department as well as police department.
The public Ladue School District serves all of Olivette. Old Bonhomme Elementary School is located within the city limits. Private schools located within the city include Logos High School, Epstein Hebrew Academy, and Immanuel Lutheran School (Olivette).
Central Elementary School (which occupied the schoolhouse at Price and Old Bonhomme Road) was part of the Ladue School District until the building was sold to the Logos school in 1983 (elementary school classes ended in 1978). Dielman Elementary school (erected in 1957, open in 1958) closed down and was replaced with homes. Grandview Elementary was open from 1962-1972. Hilltop Elementary was open from 1961-1972. Old Bonhomme Elementary (est. 1954) is still open.